Best Chest Protectors
Staying safe behind home plate with one of the best chest protectors 2016 guarding you. This essential piece of protection for catchers will protect the front of your body and your internal organs from being hurt by a foul ball or a missed ball that could be hurling at you faster than 50 mph.
The most important aspect of a catcher’s chest protector is how well it protects and dissipates the impact of the ball throughout the protector. In addition, the best chest protectors will have excellent shock absorbing foam that does not allow the ball to rebound far from your chest. Instead, the ball loses force from its contact with the chest protector so that you can control your blocks better.
To really qualify as one of the best chest protectors 2016, it also has to be comfortable, flexible, and well ventilated. Some of the best chest protectors you can choose from in 2016 are Easton Mako, All Star System 7, and Mizuno G3 Samurai.
Easton Mako Chest Protector
The Easton Mako chest protector is the best of the best as far as chest protectors go. A catcher who wears this chest protector will be confident that he is protected no matter what comes his way. Everyone familiar with sports gear knows the name Easton, a company that has been producing sports gear for longer than just about any other sports gear company. Their longevity is a testament to the fact that their gear is top quality. You can never go wrong when buying this brand.
Features of the Easton Mako Chest Protector
- Even though it is lightweight, it has impressive coverage.
- It is well ventilated.
- It is easy to take on and off.
- It has an asymmetric design, optimizing movement of catchers who are right-handed.
- The material stretches four ways.
- Abdominal wedges contract and expand separately from your body.
- The shoulder protector is attached with Velcro so that placement can easily be adjusted, but it does not get loose while in use.
- It comes in different colors.
The benefits of the Easton Mako Chest Protector
- The ventilation of this chest protector uses multi-layer perforation with large holes so that the catcher is not overly hot, even on sweltering days.
- The asymmetrical design gives great freedom of motion for throwing, catching, and blocking.
- The shock absorbing foam provides outstanding protection.
- Independently moving abdominal wedges allow unrestricted movement.
The pros of the Easton Mako Chest Protector
- Top quality
- Zero Shock™ Plus memory foam
- Asymmetric design for flexibility when throwing, catching, and blocking
- Four-way stretch material
- Sufficient padding without bulkiness
- Durable, long-lasting
- Adjustable straps
The cons of the Easton Mako Chest Protector
No reviews had any negative reports about any of the features of the Easton Mako Chest Protector. There were a few reviews, however, that complained about the sizing choices given on Amazon.
- A few reviewers on Amazon complained about the lack of instructions regarding choosing the correct size. As such, it is recommended to go to the Easton website to follow the instructions there in order to get the correct fit.
All Star System 7 Chest Protector
The All Star System 7 chest protector is top rated as one of the best chest protectors on the market today. All Star used the latest technology to produce a chest protector that is the favorite of many catchers who appreciate that it is well padded, but still lightweight.
Features of the All Star System 7 Chest Protector
- It is lightweight with large ventilation holes.
- Abdominal wedges with memory foam deaden and direct balls downward to prevent the balls from getting away.
- The collarbone protective pad is moldable.
- The shoulder cap is completely adjustable.
- The chest protector adjusts easily to your body by the use of side ‘U-bars.’
The benefits of the All Star System 7 Chest Protector
- The shoulder cap is adjustable.
- The memory foam fits well to your body and is comfortable.
- The material is very breathable, keeping you dry and cool.
- The sides wrap around.
- You can easily maneuver when throwing and blocking.
- The DeltaFlex harness keeps the chest protector snug on your body.
The pros of the All Star System 7 Chest Protector
- Durable, long lasting
- Top quality, maximum protection
- DeltaFlex adjustable harness
- Aegis Microbe Shield®
- Various colors
- Multi-layer foam construction
- Customized fit with 100% adjustable straps
The cons of the All Star System 7 Chest Protector
Only one complaint was voiced by one reviewer, and it only affects a small percentage of catchers, meaning that the All Star System 7 Chest Protector is an outstanding choice.
- The largest size is not large enough for really tall catchers.
The Mizuno G3 Samurai Chest Protector
Mizuno has a strong reputation in sports equipment; in particular, the Mizuno G3 Samurai chest protector gives you the best value possible. Mizuno stays up to date with the latest technology and utilizes whatever innovations have become available in order to give you the best value.
Features of the Mizuno G3 Samurai Chest Protector
- The neck pad is removable for personalization.
- The DryLite™ lining keeps you cool and dry even when the weather is ultra hot.
- Their Low Rebound Technology padding means that blocked balls will not rebound away. Instead, they will be directed downward near you.
- The patented detachable wings provide extra protection on your sides.
The benefits of the Mizuno G3 Samurai Chest Protector
- Patented wings are detachable and adjustable for custom fit, giving you more protection and, therefore, more confidence in your performance.
- DryLite™ lining is lightweight and keeps you cool and dry.
- Shoulder pads are detachable.
- Straps make the chest protector very adjustable.
The pros of the Mizuno G3 Samurai Chest Protector
- Wider than many other chest protectors
- Sturdy, durable, long lasting
- DryLite™ lining
- Tail pad
- Adjustable straps
- Several colors
The cons of the Mizuno G3 Samurai Chest Protector
- It is not large enough for really tall catchers since the largest size is 16.”