Best Fastpitch Catcher Gear
If you are a catcher in fastpitch softball, the most competitive type of softball, then you need the best fastpitch softball catcher gear 2016 to make sure that you have gear that will protect you and not hinder your skill. Your position very close to the batter can be very dangerous, so you need the best gear possible. Some of the items that you need are leg guards, catcher’s mitt, chest protector, and helmet.
You can buy these items individually. After all, you might want a catcher’s mitt in one brand and a chest protector in another brand. But some brands have sets that include all four of these items at once.
Below you can read about some of the best fastpitch softball catcher gear for 2016. Some of the best brands are Wilson, Louisville Slugger, and Easton. All three brands have quality products that may suit you. A major part of the decision about which brand to buy simply involves personal preference.
Wilson is a name in sporting goods that just about everyone knows, and many consider their products to be the best of the best. The company has been around since 1913 and has proven itself to be a manufacturer of some of the best quality sporting goods around. Wilson makes all the items you will need as a catcher in fastpitch softball.
Wilson Fastpitch Chest Protector is made from a stretch material that gives you great range of motion. The shoulder caps are removable so that you can adjust them exactly how you need them. The contoured fit is easy to get on and off and stays in place whether you are standing or crouching.
Wilson Fastpitch Leg Guards protect you with the latest in lightweight plastic technology. Each leg guard is designated right or left, giving you a better fit and making it easier for you to stand up from your crouching stance. These leg guards are made with a hinged design so that they stay in place, but allow you to be mobile.
Wilson Shock 2.0 Fastpitch Catcher’s Helmet makes use of a panoramic mask design with a floating mask that absorbs impact better than regular masks – up to 50% better. Inside is the Dri-Lex liner which absorbs moisture to keep you more comfortable.
Wilson Onyx 33” Fastpitch Softball Catcher’s Mitt has Double Palm Construction™ so that the leather on the palm doesn’t get thin or wear out. It is made from Double Play Leather™, which has been developed to break in quickly.
Features of the Wilson Series
- Top quality materials are used in all products.
- All Wilson gear is lightweight for your comfort.
- Wilson gear is made to last.
The benefits of the Wilson Series
- All products are made from materials that work with you rather than against you, so your movement is not hindered.
- Wilson Series products are durable and long lasting.
The pros of the Wilson Series
- Ergonomically designed
The cons of the Wilson Series
Only one con was anywhere among the reviews of the Wilson products.
- One reviewer complained that the chest protector was difficult to clean.
Louisville Slugger Women’s Series 7
Designed specifically for women, the Louisville Slugger Women’s Series for fastpitch softball is a top-rated set of catcher’s gear in 2016. The set includes helmet, chest protector, and leg guards.
Of course, the term ‘Louisville Slugger’ is synonymous with baseball, not particularly fastpitch, but baseball in general. So some people might prefer the Louisville Slugger Women’s Series 7 just for its connection to the history of baseball.
Features of the Louisville Slugger Women’s Series 7
- The harness on the chest protector goes over the shoulder to fit the female form better.
- The chest protector uses memory foam padding to provide maximum protection.
- The helmet’s chin pad is made from moisture wicking material.
- The leg guards utilize triple-knee guard design to allow flexibility while providing protection at the same time.
The benefits of the Louisville Slugger Women’s Series 7
- This set was specially designed to fit the contours of a woman’s body.
- It provides protection where it is most needed.
- The helmet meets the NOCSAE standards for protective equipment.
The pros of the Louisville Slugger Women’s Series 7
- High density foam padding
- Removable knee padding
- Triple-knee leg guard
- Variety of color combinations
The cons of the Louisville Slugger Women’s Series 7
No reviewers had any complaints about the Louisville Slugger Women’s Series 7, so you can feel comfortable that the top-rated set of fastpitch catcher’s equipment will serve you well.
The Easton Synge Catcher’s Gear
Easton makes chest protectors, leg guards, and mitts for fastpitch that provide the best value if you are looking for individual items. Easton is a favorite of many athletes because of the quality of everything they produce.
Easton Synge Chest Protector is made specifically for female catchers. The foam outer layer dampens balls upon impact so that they do not rebound far. Innovative ARC™ technology (Airflow Release Channel), along with Bio-Dri lining, keeps the player cool.
Easton Synge Catchers Leg Guards is lightweight with double knee design, which provides the best fit when you are crouching while providing maximum protection at the same time.
Easton Fastpitch Gloves are made from leather that has been made ‘game-ready.’ The fingerstalls are lined with Bio-Dri lining to wick moisture away.
Features of the Easton Synge Catcher’s Gear
- The shoulder caps on the chest protector are removable for perfect adjustment.
- The back support system on the chest protector allows for triple adjustment to provide the best possible custom fit
- The leg guards use crossed straps to give the most secure fit possible around your calves.
- The catcher’s mitt is specially designed for women with smaller openings.
The benefits of the Easton Synge Catcher’s Gear
- Each product is perfectly designed for women.
- The chest protector and leg guards are designed to allow maximum movement.
- The chest protector is completely form-fitting.
- Removable Bio-Dri liner on leg guards
- Inner knee protection on leg guards
The cons of the Easton Synge Catcher’s Gear
The only con was from someone who felt that the mitt actually repelled the ball away. Other reviewers were very pleased with their Easton purchases.
- One person had a sporting goods store soften the glove and then used the glove for many days, but still claimed that the ball bounced out.