Cardinals at Pirates Fantasy Betting Match Preview
This game series of three starts on August 3 between NL Central foes that both made confusing decisions at the trade deadline. The Cardinals sold and the Pirates bought. Will either of them make the playoffs? Probably not.
- John Gant (3-4, 3.49 ERA) has taken on a swingman role for the Cardinals. He has been solid in the games where he has started, but not spectacular. Expect a couple of strikeouts, a few earned runs and a five-inning outing.
- Chris Archer (3-5, 4.31 ERA) is not as good as the general public regards him, at least not according to the stats. However, he is now leaving the AL East for the NL Central, which should allow give him a nice boost in performance.
Better play: Archer
Add up the adrenaline of joining a new team, switching leagues and pitching in front of the home crowd for the first time, and the Pirates hurler could have a little extra juice behind his pitches. At the very least, that should mean loads of strikeouts.
Who should start
- Bud Norris stayed put despite apparent interest around the league. He should continue to get the lion’s share of save opportunities for a competitive Cardinals team.
- Gregory Polanco is starting to tear the cover off of the ball. He had four consecutive multi-hit games this week, and he remains available in 15 percent of ESPN leagues.
Who should sit
- Jose Martinez is battling an ankle injury. He was reduced to bench duty for a few games and is now not even starting. A short DL stint could be in his future.
- Keone Kela moved from the Rangers to the Pirates, which is good for him if he likes to win games, but bad for his fantasy value. Instead of saves, he may have to settle for holds.
Pirates too win, Whether it made sense or not, their front office showed that they believed in this team at the deadline. The Cardinals decision-makers have took away one of the lineup’s better hitters.