New York Yankees versus Texas Rangers Series 8th September 2017
This three game series match up starting 8th September at the Rangers home ground features the Yankees, second in the American League East, and the Rangers, third in the American League West.
These are two of my all time favorite teams so i can’t wait for these games.
Both of these teams have significant offensive firepower, but will examine the pitching match ups first.
- On Friday, Masahiro Tanaka takes on A.J. Griffin. Tanaka is 11-10 with 4.54 ERA and 3-0 over the last three decisions. Griffin is 6-5 with a 5.09 ERA and has been on a steady downward path, going 2-5 over the last seven decisions.
- On Saturday, Luis Severino faces off against Martin Perez. Severino has been excellent lately, going 7-2 over the last nine decisions and is 12-6 with a 3.03 ERA. A strikeout machine, he’s punched out 201 in 169 1/3 innings. Perez is 11-10 with a 4.87 ERA but is 6-0 over the last six. His biggest downfall is the propensity for the long ball, allowing 18 home runs in 157 innings.
- On Sunday, C.C Sabathia takes the mound for the Yankees. He is 11-5 with a 3.91 ERA and 2-0 over the last four starts. Cashner is also 2-0 over the last two decisions and is 9-9 with a 3.29 ERA for the season.
- Offensively, both teams use the long ball. Aaron Judge leads the Yankees with 38 home runs, while Gary Sanchez, Didi Gregorius and Brett Gardner have added 28,20 and 20, respectively.
- Joey Gallo is the huge power threat for Texas, belting 37 home runs, while Rougned Odor and Mike Napoli have each added 28 long balls.
- It should be noted that none of the power threats will help in terms of batting average, as Odor leads the way at only .213.
- Elvis Andrus should provide solid numbers, hitting .300 with 19 home runs and 23 stolen bases, while 22-year old Nomar Mozar had added 17 home runs and 88 RBI.
Cut to the Chase Prediction
The Yankees have the better overall team on paper, but the Rangers are at home, therefore I see the Rangers avoiding a sweep, taking likely either the Saturday or Sunday contest.